Monday, September 24, 2012

Fall Decorating on the Cheap: Burlap Wreath and Toilet Paper Pumpkins




The hubby and I just started the Financial Peace University course by Dave Ramsey through our church. This is a wonderful opportunity for us to get our finances in order, but it also means no more random trips to Hobby Lobby or Michael's whenever I see something I HAVE to try on Pinterest. This year when decorating for fall I cannot buy anything. I can only use what I already have. 

I posted HERE about some very cute projects that I found on the blogosphere and Pinterest that are super adorable but really cheap. Unfortunately, even some of those projects would be difficult to manage from my craft stockpile.

First of all, I have a pretty hefty craft stash. I make a ton of items to sell at craft fairs around Christmastime – the key word being Christmas. I have ten tons of Christmas decorations. However, I have absolutely no fall themed anything, so I had to use creativity and ingenuity to come up with fall decorations. Here’s what I came up with.

Items used:
About 1 yard of burlap fabric
Wire
Ribbon
Picture frame
Toilet paper
Cardboard







I had a few yards of burlap fabric – not the pretty natural burlap, but an off white. I wanted to make a wreath, but I have no wreath forms except for the green foam floral ones that disintegrate when you put anything on them. So, I made my own. I took some wire and crafted my own wreath form. It looks extremely homemade, but you can’t tell when the wreath form is covered. Problem solved. I wrapped and stuffed burlap strips into the wreath form.

I got some awesome frames from a yard sale this summer for 50 cents each. I knew they would come in handy one day. I painted one of the frames and used it to hang the wreath from. I took ribbon that I literally saved from a Christmas gift last year to hang the wreath on the frame. Because it’s the off white burlap, it needed something more.

I found this awesome tutorial at In My Own Style about making monograms with foam board. Unfortunately, I had no foam board. Remember, I can’t buy ANYTHING! I did have a cardboard box, so I proceeded to cut a monogram into cardboard. It may have been a little easier had I made the monogram bigger, but let me just say that it was hard to cut the stuff with an exacto knife or scissors. And when I was finished, the cardboard looked all shaggy. I ended up mod podging tissue paper onto the cardboard to get the edges smooth. I then painted it. It turned out cute, but it was entirely too much work for such a small detail. Never again will I use cardboard if I can help it.




 




Next, I wanted pumpkins. Unfortunately, I have no fake pumpkins, or real for that matter, or any orange fabric. I have no fabric even remotely close to resembling fall colors. Note: Sewing machines run from me screaming, so I don’t usually have a major stash of fabric handy. I do, however, keep a ridiculously large collection of acrylic paint. I also have the bland burlap fabric I used for the wreath. This would have to do.

One of my inspiration projects, which you can find at Posed Perfection, was a project that involved wrapping toilet paper rolls in fabric to make them look like pumpkins. I took orange acrylic paint and brushed over the burlap. When finished, I wrapped a few rolls of toilet paper in the burlap. I embellished them with some green ribbon and sticks from the bushes outside. The hubby pitched a fit that I used the good Charmin toilet paper. It’s not like we can’t use it once I pull down the decorations.





I was fortunate to have all of these things at my house already. However, if I were to have bought all of these materials, it probably wouldn’t have put me out of pocket too much. A yard of the burlap was about $2.40, 2oz bottle of paint was $0.99, green ribbon was $0.99, and the frame was $0.50. I don’t know how much the wire would cost since I found it buried in my garage, maybe a few bucks. The cardboard and toilet paper are things everyone pretty much has lying around the house somewhere.






I was really happy with how these projects turned out. I think that limited funds increases creativity. I have a few more projects planned, so stay tuned! Let me know what you think of my frugal fall decorations so far!
Up I was featured!

    




Linking Up With:


                                            





 
Pin It

37 comments :

  1. SUPER cute! I can't believe how resourceful you were in making these1 You are a clever creator!

    Crystelle
    http://www.crystelleboutique.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very creative! I love that you are working with what you already have at home! I think that makes things you create even more creative than if you went out and bought everything! Love the idea of using just a cardboard box for the monogram!
    I'd love for you to link this up at my Linky Party at www.therusticpig.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by Claire! Linked up at your linky party.

      Delete
  3. So beautiful! I love your wreath and pumpkins! I would love for you to link up your gorgeous fall decor at my linky party, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very creative use of what you have! No one would guess the pumpkins are stuffed with tp...shhh!
    Homa Style is having a No Orange Autumn Display Link Party tomorrow on Wednesday and would love to see your creation there. Here's the link...
    http://homastyle.com/wp/2012/09/25/no-orange-autumn-decor/

    Okay if you use orange in your pumpkins. After all decorating rules are made to be broken!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by! The toilet paper pumpkins were super easy, and you really can't tell they're stuffed with tp! I'd be happy to link up.

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent! I just love this. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree about having to get crafty-er if you have limited funds. Theres fun in the challenge! Cute monogram on the wreath. It all looks simple and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super Cute! Love your fall decor. I made a pumpkin as well from toilet paper, but wrapped it in twine. If you have any twine handy, you could make some more pumpkins:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the wreath. I'm your newest follower. COme check out my blog when you have a minute at http://sister-number-5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. so simple
    and cute
    for your fall
    mantel

    thanks for sharing
    at Fridays Unfolded

    now following you
    via GFC and Twitter!

    alison

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is my kind of craft. Cutie but simple. I need to attend that University myself! I need to learn how to use what I have.

    I hope you could join and link up at my link party happening today at

    http://myricandreasen.blogspot.com/2012/09/passion-parade-link-soiree.html

    Hoping to see you there!

    xo
    Myric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Myric! Dave Ramsey is awesome when it comes to managing your finances. I'll check out your link party!

      Delete
  11. I love both....the wreath and the little pumpkins!! So cute!!

    Thanks for linking up with us this weekend @ Keep Calm & Link Up! We're thrilled you chose to party with us again!
    xo, Meredith @ www.waittilyourfathergetshome.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is simply adorable! I love your creativity and ingenuity! And...the monogram is just ADORABLE!!! I'm now following you just to see what you come up with next :)

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the lovely comments Erin, and thanks for following!

      Delete
  13. Wow, what awesome ideas! I love those pumpkins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Glad you like the pumpkins McLain!

      Delete
  14. Hi Lizzi! Thanks so much for linking up at The Rustic Pig last week! I chose your wreath as one of my features this week! Feel free to grab a button and link up this week too! Hugs!!! :)
    www.therusticpig.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feature! I'll be linking up from now on.

      Delete
  15. Darn cute TP pumpkins!!!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW!!! This is tooo cute! How creative!

    --Stacey--
    theyarbroughsblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very creative and adorable! I love those burlap pumpkins! Thanks so much for sharing at Our Pinteresting Link Party - I'm featuring you tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the feature! I love your site and weekly link party!

      Delete
  18. Hello! Your post reminds me of Nester's 31 Days of Lovely Limitations last fall! It's fun to see what you can come up on a limited( or no) budget and it'll be worth it to be able to yell, " we're debt free!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, it will be so awesome to say that. It may be a couple of years from now, but we'll get there. Thanks for the sweet comment!

      Delete
  19. Ummm...super cute! And those TP pumpkins? Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, way to go cutting out that monogram from cardboard, what hard work, but pretty result! Thanks for stopping by Clever Nest, it's good to meet you!
    Alyssa
    myclevernest.com

    ReplyDelete