Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Fall Decorating on the Cheap: Happy Fall Y’all Pumpkin Blocks


Welcome to another installment of fall decorating on the cheap. You can find my previous posts here:

I’ve been trying to decorate for fall using only the materials I have on hand. The hubby and I just attended our third class in Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace University, and we’ve done quite well so far with getting our budget in order. However, my eyebrows look atrocious since I’ve decided not to pay to have them waxed any longer, and I’m far from proficient when it comes to using the tweezers on them myself. Another problem is that I haven’t been able to spend ANY money on fall decorations. I’ve had to dig deep and really get creative. 
One thing I’ve seen a lot recently is pumpkin blocks made from things like 2x4s. I have a little bit of scrap wood at the house, so I decided to give it a try.
I found this piece of wood in my shed and cut it into three pieces. I used acrylic paint to paint each piece orange. Most of the pumpkin blocks I’ve seen have been covered in scrapbook paper. However, I have no fall scrapbook paper, so I used my penmanship and wrote “Happy Fall Y’all” on the pieces of wood with a brown paint marker. I then sanded each piece to give it a rustic or unfinished look, whatever you want to call it.
I embellished each pumpkin with wine cork I had cut down and green ribbon, which I glued on the top with a glue gun. I was happy with the way it turned out. I think it adds a nice touch to my fall décor, and it didn’t cost me a cent. Also, I could probably find a piece of scrap wood on the side of the road on trash day if I didn’t have any on hand. That could possibly be where I got the one I used. It’s amazing what you can come up with when you have very little to work with. Let me know what you think!









   




Linking Up With:

  

  



 
Pin It

19 comments :

  1. These are SO cute! I'm visiting from the crafty soiree. My husband just glanced over my shoulder and goes, "I like that!" So, I just may have to make it!
    http://www.sewingourlifetogether.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by Jessica. I'm glad you and your hubby like it!

      Delete
  2. I have so many pieces of wood that would be perfect for this- now I just need to figure out where the hubs stashed them before the season is over. LOVE this!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gina! The hubby gets mad that I keep a stash of scrap wood, but it does come in handy when crafting!

      Delete
  3. I love it! The cork is such a unique take on the pumpkin stem! Such a great idea! Thank so much for sharing. Officially a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute!! I'd love for you to link this up to Do Something Crafty Friday: http://seevanessacraft.com/2012/10/do-something-crafty-60/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You wrote the lettering from scratch! That's really impressive. I'm not so sure mine would turn out as good, but maybe sticker letters or rub on transfers might work.

    I wanted to invite you to share your project on my blog, Confetti Diaries, link party this week. I know my readers would enjoy such great inspiration! We hope to see you there!

    http://confettidiaries.com/2012/10/wednesdays-goody-bag-link-party-4/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the sweet comments! I've used stickers on similar projects before and they work just as well. I'll check out your link party.

      Delete
  6. I'm a new gfc follower from a linky. I pinned one of your picture ;)

    http://ellecrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the follow and pin! I appreciate it!

      Delete
  7. Those are SO cute!! I love that you wrote it yourself, great handwriting! Pinned it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it Christine! Thanks for the lovely comment and for the pin!

      Delete
  8. Your pumpkins are adorable! You are so creative. Thank you so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent. So thrilled to have you share again this week. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are super cute! I really love the saying!

    Thank you for linking up last week! Im featuring you tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How cute is that! I love the saying and you have great penmanship. I would have made a mess of it. Won't you come by and share at my party Totally Transformed Tuesday? I know my readers would love to see how cute working in a budget can be. Hugs Peggy http://pjhdesignsoneofakind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute! I pinned it right away!
    Thanks!
    Chelsea
    http://www.asilivewithanxiety.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete