Friday, December 14, 2012

Dollar Store Days Until Christmas




I found this pretty charger plate at the Dollar Tree and wanted to make something with it. Lately I've been using chalkboard paint more and more, so I decided to make a chalkboard. 


I used blue painters tape to tape the edges of the charger. I cute the tape to curve the edges so it could make a circle shape. This took a little while. 



I then spray painted the plate with chalkboard paint. 

Once dry, I removed the tape. There were a few smudges where the paint got under the tape but nothing too noticeable. I drilled a small hole in the top of the charger. I made a pretty bow that I fastened with floral wire. I looped the wire through the hole and duck taped it too the back. Sssshhhh! Don't tell anyone! Not a pretty sight, but no one will ever see the back (except you guys!). 


I took a white paint marker and wrote "days before Christmas." That way, I can use chalk to write in the number of days. 




I think it turned out pretty swell for something I got at the dollar store. A little chalkboard paint, ribbon, and painters tape, all of it I already had handy, fixed it up nicely!  





I was featured!



Linking Up With:

   


Pin It

17 comments :

  1. This is so cute and what a great idea! Very clever! I hope you will link this up to The CSI project this week. The challenge is Countdown to Christmas ideas. The link up will begin tonight through Friday. Come on by!!!
    www.thecsiproject.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea for a christmas countdown! I bought these red chargers at the dollar tree. Thanks for sharing such a cute idea on how to use them!
    Happy Holidays!
    Leslie
    House on the Way

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this idea. i will have to copy it for next yr.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have two questions: where did you get SPRAY chalkboard paint (I have only seen this in a can to use with a brush), and where did you get white paint markers (never even heard of them).... thanks for the awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hold the phone, I just found out where I can purchase both items - sorry!

      Delete
    2. Where did you find the marker??

      Delete
    3. I've bought the chalkboard spray paint at Amazon and Home Depot. The white paint marker probably came from Michael's. I've had it so long, I can't remember where I purchased it!

      Delete
  5. I really like your idea. These would also make nice gifts for other things also. ex. Mother's Day, or any other special day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your idea. These would also make nice gifts for other things also. ex. Mother's Day, or any other special day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. It's plastic. Great if you have little ones running around!

      Delete
  8. Why did you drill a hole for the ribbon and not just glue the ribbon onto the charger?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a hard time finding glue that sticks fabric to plastic long term, so I thought drilling a hole would be a more durable solution. The drill bit went through the plastic easily. Four Christmases later, and this is still on our mantle every year!

      Delete
  9. Tried this but the blue painters tape just pulled the red paint off the charger. I tried it with 2 different types of tape, same thing! Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like your idea. These would also make nice gifts for other things also. ex. Mother's Day, or any other special day.

    meaningful gifts for mom
    custom cowboy hat gift for dad
    baby gifts for new parents

    ReplyDelete