Saturday, August 11, 2012

DIY Cake Stand


I’ve seen a lot of cute DIY cake stands on Pinterest, so I’ve been itching to give it a try. I came across a few items at the flea market and thrift store last weekend and thought, what the heck. I’ll make one.

I found a brass candlestick and a couple glass ones as well as a few plates for a whopping $4.50 total. 
 

I started out by spraying primer on all the items.


I then sprayed about two coats of chocolate brown spray paint on each one.


I used a paint marker to paint designs on the candlesticks and plates. On one plate I even drew a monogram. 


I took a paper towel and blotted gold paint on the plates and candlesticks. I thought it added a nice touch. I then used a heavy duty super glue and glued each plate on top of the candlestick. I finished it off with some spray lacquer.
















 And, there you have it. I even baked bought cupcakes and cake for the occasion. I don’t consider this food safe, so I wouldn’t put the cake directly on the stand. Instead I used a doily to set the cake on. I think it turned out super cute! And, it goes great with my china. Overall it was a really easy project with great results.

 



FIY - This can also double as a jewelry holder. I'm thinking of putting one on my vanity to hold the jewerly I wear most often. 

Here's to handy andy



Linking Up With:



                       



Pin It

21 comments :

  1. Hi Elizabeth, What adorable cake stands! I especially like the Monogram. You're very talented! So glad you visited my blog.~Kristie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like it. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. Love your cake stands! You did an awesome job! Thanks so much for visiting my blog and for following. I'm returning the follow. Tuula :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look fantastic! I need to make a set of these for serving food at parties. I get tired of my same old dishes, but all new pieces would be so expensive. I like this idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I plan to display them at get togethers during the holidays. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. This is a great idea. I want to make one for Thanksgiving! Look forward to reading your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and for following! Now following you also.

      Delete
  5. Oh, I love these!! You did a fabulous job. Your newest follower. Thank you so much for visiting me. :)

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them! Thanks for following!

      Delete
  6. Love your plate stands! Glad I found you!
    Your newest follower,
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really lovely. I love the designs you used for each plate. I agree that the gold really adds to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look great! Love the color combos :)

    Found you @ The Well Crafted Home

    --Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the designs on these! They look awesome! Thank you for sharing at our
    Pinteresting Party!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These turned our so great! I love the designs you painted on them! Thanks so much for sharing at our Pinteresting Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love these! They turned out great! Life to the full, Melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle

    ReplyDelete
  12. GORGEOUS! Love the paslieys :)
    xoxo
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty! Love the colors you used, nice job! I'm now a follower...

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome creation ! I am thinking about some cake stands design for my online store & i have got here exceptional idea.Thanks a lot !

    ReplyDelete