Thursday, June 27, 2013

Project Wedding: DIY Rustic Wedding Signs

Welcome back to my Project Wedding series where I have been highlighting great aspects of Carla and David's rustic, country wedding. In today's post I'm going to show you how I made rustic road signs for the big day that were really cheap and easy.


I made two signs that said "Carla + David Wedding" and two that said "Happily Ever After Starts Here." It was the first thing people driving to the wedding would see, so I wanted to make them cute. I began with fence posts I had leftover from fencing in our back yard. Any reclaimed wood will work, though.



I used white paint and freehanded letters onto the fence boards. The wood was in rough shape, even after sanding, so I had to do two coats on each sign. Stencils and spray paint would work too, but I tend to get into fights with stencils. I painted both sections of each sign onto one fence post.


Once the paint was dry, I took a jig saw and cut the fence post in half. I then took the saw to trim the edges. I used two ottomans from our plastic patio furniture to steady the wood while cutting.



For the stake, I used a scrap 2x4 that my father-in-law had in his shed. You can get these for just a few dollars at stores that sell lumber like Home Depot or Lowe's. I sharpened one end into a point with the saw. You can also find inexpensive pre-cut stakes that are much smaller at hardware stores.


I simply drilled screws into the sign to attach it to the stake. They turned out great! Even though the wood is a little roughed up and the writing is not perfect, the signs were just right for directing drivers and give them a preview of what was to come at the wedding.


 




Once they had served their purpose at the wedding, I reused part of one sign by detatching the Carla + David board to make a cute gift for the newlyweds.



Thanks for joining me for my Project Wedding series. Click below to see other projects from Carla and David's wedding.

1. Carla + David, A Rustic, Country Wedding
2. Invitations and Programs
3. DIY Rustic Wedding Signs
4. The Decor
5. A Country Flower Girl
6. The Cakes
7. A House Divided Candy Bar - Alabama v. Auburn
















Pin It



                      





13 comments :

  1. Too cute! Thanks for checking out my table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your rustic wedding signs! They are so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So glad you like them! They were really easy to make too.

      Delete
  3. These signs are adorable!! I am sure they were a big hit at the wedding. I found your blog on Nifty Thrifty Tuesday and am your newest follower. The front door at Still Woods Farmhouse is always open to blogging friends. I hope you will drop by for a visit!
    Blessings from Still Woods

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for following! I definitely will stop by Still Woods.

      Delete
  4. Very cute! I love how it served two purposes! Thanks for sharing at Pinworthy Projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started making wood signs to point to different sections of our wedding - like ceremony, reception, etc. but I LOVE the idea of having a separate sign for guest to see when they arrive. Thanks for sharing and for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great signs! I'm pinning this for my sister to check out for her upcoming wedding. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My fiance has left me up to creating some signs for our wedding, and I think these would be perfect! Our wedding is a rustic theme as well, and the re-purposed wood that you used really fit with the look. This also seems fairly easy and cheap to make, so now all I have to do is get the okay from my fiance.

    Signs

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you for sharing blog about wedding. Do you know the tradition updated with Wedding neon signs are more than a trend; they are a glowing symbol of love. Every couple is different and unique, and nothing can represent their love better than a custom neon wedding sign. light up custom neon sign can be a perfect glowing backdrop while you are saying your vows. Or pair your wedding neon signs up with some florals to create a fantastic photo booth. No matter where you place them or what color you choose, custom wedding neon signs will surely make a big statement.

    ReplyDelete